Preparing for your Baby
There is a lot to do before your little one arrives. It helps to make a plan to make sure all boxes are checked. Research what parental leave you are entitled to, and be sure to get an early start if you will be looking for childcare, so you have ample time to research all options.
Step 2: Call upon the local Texas Association of Child Care Resources and Referral Agency (TACCRRA) to give you facts about childcare in the San Antonio area. You can ask things like:
- What are the licensing requirements in San Antonio?
- How can I get information about complaints and licensing violations?
- Does my family qualify for childcare financial assistance?
Step 3: Visit and ask questions
- Adult to Child Ratio. For babies that ratio is 1:4 with four year olds that ratio changes to 1:10.
- Group size. The smaller the better.
- Caregiver qualifications. How long has your baby’s caregiver provided care?
- How long have the caregivers been there?
- Is this child center accredited Education of Young Children (NAEYC) or The National Association for Family Child Care (NAFCC)?
Step 4: Make a choice
- Recall each visit and make the safest, most reliable choice for your little one.
Step 5: Stay involved
- Partner with your child’s caregiver to provide the best care available for your baby by having meetings, volunteering at the child center and join special events.
Child Care Assistance from the City of San Antonio
The Child Care Services Program provides monetary help for child care to an average of 8,200 children per day through more than 750 local child care providers. Child care services are available for both full and part-time care for qualified families. Qualified families may encounter a wait period for service availability. To be eligible for CCS, individuals must meet certain criteria. Learn more
Quality Childcare Guide
This downloadable brochure from the Child Care Services program has a list of steps to choosing the right care for your child, plus a checklist on what to look for when deciding whether that child care meets your quality standard. English | Español
Texas Child Care Solutions
Developed by the Texas Workforce Commission, the purpose of Texas Child Care Solutions is so provide parents access to accurate and consistent information to assist them in making informed choices to meet their child care needs. Learn More