Each year, children are injured by hazards in and around the home. There are many ways you can make your home and daily life safer for your baby. Despite your best efforts, accidents will happen, and it’s important to be prepared.
Car seats are crucial for baby’s safety during travel, but knowing how to properly install the seat and buckle up your child can be difficult.
- Common Car Seat Mistakes to Avoid
– Getting a used car seat without doing your homework
– Placing the car seat in the wrong spot
– Incorrectly installing the car seat or buckling up your child
– Reclining your child at the incorrect angle
– Moving to a forward-facing car seat too soon
– Not removing your child’s heavy outerwear
– Moving to a booster seat too soon
– Incorrectly using a booster seat
– Transitioning to a safety belt too soon
Even good parents can’t prevent every accident, but common accidents are easier to prevent if you know what to look out for.
- Common Childhood Accidents
– Choking, strangulation, and suffocation
– Car safety
– Gun safety
Many easy-to-find and low-cost devices can help prevent injury to young children in the home.
- Safety devices to reduce injury to children
– Safety Latches and Locks
– Safety Gates
– Door Knob Covers and Door Locks
– Anti-Scald Devices
– Smoke Alarms
– Window Guards and Safety Netting
– Corner and Edge Bumpers
– Outlet Covers and Outlet Plates
– Carbon Monoxide (CO) Alarm
– Cordless Window Coverings
– Anchors to Avoid Furniture and Appliance Tip-Overs
– Layers of Protection with Pools and Spas